Thursday, December 16, 2004

Why must writing be so hard?

This is my first blog in this series. I've been a professional writer for more than 25 years. Over the past several years I have been fairly successful writing weekly columns about cooking. I've won a few awards in the process, nothing earth-shaking, but it makes me feel good about myself. I'm working on a culinary book right now, as well as a novel with a culinary theme, and am promoting a play I have already finished, also about food (specifically, chocolate). I get plenty done and have good work habits. The only problem seems to be that I must work in small bits, running out of steam frequently. Two hours of writing is a good result for a day's work, but it takes me ten hours to get it all done. I know when I don't have the creative edge, so I have the discipline to make myself stop. I guess because I put so much of myself into it, I burn out and must regenerate frequently. There's a cost to all this, isn't there?

1 Comments:

At Tue Dec 28, 01:11:00 AM 2004, Blogger Elliot Essman said...

Sleep impedes creative work because it arrives on its own agenda, and yet the respite from the back-breaking work of filling the empty page allows neatly-arrayed ideational strains to begin bumping into each other, creating friction, crying "havoc," creating with this discontent and disturbance until the brain must once again obey the body's call that it mimic death in the dark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home