Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Moods and Brain Activity

Reacting to stress has always been difficult for me, since I am not a naturally calm person. I’m sure there are many counterbalancing positives for my brain chemistry, but I wish I didn’t have to go through such changes for what are essentially small things. Being with people usually helps me snap out of the agitated state. I believe I have the opposite of social anxiety, or perhaps it is this: when I am alone my imagination takes over and leads me into agitation; when I am with others I am better able because of the circumstances to focus my energies on the moment.

1 Comments:

At Mon Oct 10, 07:23:00 AM 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting blog - I am unfamiliar with the state of blog. However, I am familiar with being alone, which, opposite from you, I enjoy. I think however it is a nature/nurture thing. The most influencial women in my life had had, by the time I arrived on the planet, an over-abundence of company that always needed something from them (children/husbands) so they were always pleased to be alone so that they could hear their own thoughts without interuption. Consequently, I grew up thinking that this was the desired state to be acheived and I can spend days alone. I'm not sure this is a good thing or a bad thing, but in situations where I am forced to spend extended periods on my own, they tend to be productive as the 'aloneness' is soothing.

Yet there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. Lonliness is sad and I would most likely slip into a low-grade depression if I were lonely. Fortunately for me, I have a wonderful boyfriend. We do not live together and therefor I have the best of both worlds at the moment. The sense of being 'together' with someone, and periods of being alone in which I accomplish alot of work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home